Jetstar celebrates 50 million passengers and six years of weddings, royalty, goldfish and car engin
- Australia’s low fares airline Jetstar will celebrate carrying its 50 millionth passenger to check-in at Melbourne Airport today.
Jetstar is celebrating sixth operational birthday this month, and since May 2004 has carried nearly 25 million passengers for under $100 and 6 million passengers for under $50 throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific region.
Jetstar Chief Executive Officer Bruce Buchanan said Jetstar has stimulated more travel through low fares in the past six years making it a more affordable and hassle-free experience for travellers in Australia and overseas.
“In our first three years of low fare domestic operations in Australia at least 10 percent of our passengers were first time flyers, so to now reach our 50 million customer milestone is a great achievement to which we’re extremely proud,” Mr Buchanan said.
“With 14 launch markets in 2004, the Jetstar brand has grown to now fly to 60 destinations across Australasia and within Asia in these past six years, due to the demand of travellers for our low fares and accessibility to value for money flying.
“Jetstar continues to provide constant innovation and low fares to consumers, with more choice through products such as Web Check-In, JetSaver Light fares, award winning service with a Customer Service Guarantee and all backed by our Price Beat Guarantee.”
Some of the more interesting occurrences over that time have included:
- Performing an on-board wedding to from Singapore to Shantou, China
- The most common call centre question asked is ‘Do I need a passport to go to Hobart?’ • A passenger requesting to bring her goldfish – in a bowl – on board
- Flying Crown Princess Mary flying home to Hobart
- Setting a world record for the highest on board stand-up comedy
- Unique check-in requests, including a car engine and 700 kilos of fish!
- The very first passenger to fly Jetstar in Newcastle in 2004 had never flown before
The Jetstar Brands and its direct suppliers now support up to 7000 jobs and has played a key role in boosting the economies of cities and regional centres within Australia and New Zealand and across the Asia Pacific region.
As a multi-award winning airline Jetstar was named the SkyTrax World’s Best Low Cost Airline in 2007 and Best Cabin Crew in Australia and New Zealand as well as a three time CAPA (Centre Asia Pacific Aviation) Low Cost Carrier of the Year.
Since commencing operations in 2004, Jetstar has:
- Carried 50 million passengers throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific region; • Carried nearly 25 million passengers for under $100;
- Carried six million passengers for under $50; and
- Increased the number of destinations from 14 in Australia in 2004, to 60 destinations across
Australia and the Asia Pacific region in 2010.
Jetstar CEO Bruce Buchanan will present a prize to the 50 millionth passenger when they check-in at Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport TODAY.
The 50 millionth passenger will receive FREE* TRAVEL for one year!
* Travel for one year to the value of $10,000 on Jetstar flights
About Jetstar Group
Jetstar first took to the skies in 2004 and has since flown more than 350 million customers across an extensive international and domestic network. The Jetstar Group is made up of Jetstar Airways (subsidiary of the Qantas Group) in Australia and New Zealand, Jetstar Asia in Singapore, and Jetstar Japan in Japan. A leading low-fares airline, Jetstar is committed to offering everyday low fares to enable more people to fly to more places, more often. As one of Asia Pacific’s fastest-growing airline brands, Jetstar was voted Best Low-Cost Airline in Asia Pacific in 2021 and was recognized for its excellent flight safety records and services when listed on the "2022 World's Top 10 LCC" released by Airline Ratings.