Getting ready to move to MEL T4 in November
You may have heard that on 10 November we’ll be moving into the brand new, state-of-the-art Terminal 4 (T4) at Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport.
From that day onwards all our domestic flights to and from Melbourne will arrive and depart from this terminal (except for flights numbered JQ1 to JQ399 which are Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights that will depart from the international terminal, T2).
What’s so cool about T4?
We’re super excited about this move because T4 is Melbourne Airport’s purpose-built low cost carrier terminal.
- Quick and easy check-in with 36 new-model self-check-in kiosks (almost double what we have now).
- Faster bag drop-off with 18 automated bag drop units.
- Lots of space inside the new terminal – enough to handle 10 million passengers a year, in fact.
- Large, comfortable central departure lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows, 1,200 seats, and 30 shopping and dining outlets. You’ll get to relax here till your flight is called and you’re asked to go to your departure gate.
- Access to at least 12 boarding gates during busy traffic periods (versus priority access to just 4 in our current terminal). So no more bussing out to an aircraft waiting on the tarmac. And you won’t have to wait very often (if at all) on the tarmac for a gate to be free after you land.
- New, dedicated transport facilitates – including a new taxi rank, a new SkyBus stop, and lots of space to pick up and drop off passengers. T4 will even have dedicated road access from Tullamarine Freeway.
Getting ready for the big move
Moving to a whole new terminal is a big deal so we’ve spent the last several months preparing.
A few weeks ago we even ran a customer simulation exercise in which over a hundred test “customers” (mainly friends and family members of people who work at Jetstar) went through the process of checking in and making their way to a fake flight from Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport to Avalon Airport.
Tests like these are super useful because they help us iron out any issues customers might face or confusion they might have when using a new terminal for the first time.
This particular exercise was really successful and, thanks to the feedback we received, we’re confident customers who fly with us from 10 November onwards will find going through T4 a delight.
We’re really looking forward to showing our new Australian flagship terminal to you. And, with less than three weeks to the big move, our teams are working hard to make sure everything is ready to go by 10 November.
We’ll be sharing more information about T4 in the next couple of weeks but, for now, check out these pages and let us know if you have any questions (we’re always happy to help):